Photobucket


Ben Lomond

I've already been on a ton of hikes this year and until today I haven't been on hikes that I had planned to do this year.  Today was finally my opportunity to hike Ben Lomond Peak.  I came a little bit short of the peak due to snow, but I'll get to that in a bit.
We left Tooele at 4:00am to get to the North Ogden Divide Trailhead by 5:30am.  Oddly, we arrived exactly when Google said we would.  It was a very warm morning in the valley, but the temperature dropped ten degrees by the time we got to the trailhead.  It was cold, or at least I was cold. 

The trail starts with a couple miles of switchbacks up the side of the mountain, and coincidentally so did we.  Fortunately the trail's not steep.  We climbed about 500' per mile, which isn't too bad.  It was fun to see the parking lot get smaller and smaller as we climbed.  It wasn't fun later to see the parking lot get closer a little bit at a time.  
After about 2 miles the switchbacks stopped and we continued up the East side of the mountain with great views down to Pineview Reservoir.  It was odd that as we had great views of Pineview reservoir we were walking through pines. 

After about 3 1/2 miles or so (I can't remember very well) we climbed over the ridge to the West side of the mountain and had our first good views of Odgen and of Ben Lomond Peak (shown below).
From that point the trail was spectacular.  Not that it wasn't great up to that point, but from that point it was absolutely stunning.  The views were incredible.  The air was so clear (under the clouds) that we could see Mt Nebo to the South, Wyoming to the East, Nevada to the West, and Idaho to the North.  The picture below shows the view back south from near the peak.
The trail goes gently up and down for miles until it starts the final approach to the peak where the switchbacks start again.  I'm pretty sure the picture below is looking North into the Cache Valley and beyond.
As the trail started going higher, we started to see a bit of snow on the trail from time to time.  Most of it we could either walk on or walk around pretty easily.  The snow was soft enough that you could kick footholds pretty easily.  But it was also so soft that it was easy to posthole (sink one or both feet deep into the snow). 
About 500 vertical feet from the peak the snow covered more and more of the trail, to the point that it was no longer possible to find the trail.  The rest of my group, being braver than me, continued on, but I decided to turn back.  I had already achieved everything I wanted to on the hike.  Plus, after learning how beautiful this trail is, I'll definitely be back.
In the end, I hiked 14.62 miles with over 3,000' of elevation gain.  I had two blisters (but I don't think they count because they're between toes.  What's up with that?) and some sore feet.  No sunburn, no excessive aches or pains, and a new appreciation for the mountains in the Ogden area.



1 comments:

low bass said...

Great pics! Keep hiking, bud!